Thursday, October 31, 2013

Carrying around a big story

My neighbors are super friendly. Most people would consider that a plus, but it's a little scary for me. Getting to know new people still seems dangerous, except in certain safe contexts. I'm always ready for the rejection, for my difference to be too great, so I preemptively stay in the polite acquaintance zone. 

Tonight I tried to hang out and engage in spite of my fears.

"How did your family celebrate Halloween?"

A totally natural question, but I didn't quite see it coming, didn't have the quickness to laugh and just deflect it.  

The too long pause, the awkward laugh. Feeling like I gave away my big story.

"We didn't really do Halloween."

And they are kind people and so they politely moved the conversation along and pretended to take no notice.

Sometime I would like to take a break from wearing that big story. It is heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment